Piquant Rice Salad
Here’s a bold-flavored rice salad, enough to feed a crowd. Replete with lots of tasty ingredients, including artichokes, roasted peppers, and fresh chili peppers, it’s a great potcluck or buffet dish.
Serves: 10 to 12
- 1 1/2 cups raw long-grain brown or brown basmati rice, rinsed
(or try a colorful exotic rice blend)
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 12-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, with liquid, chopped
- 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, with a little of the liquid, cut into strips
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2/3 cup sliced pitted black olives
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 jalapeños or other chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 to 1 1/2 limes, to taste
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the rice with 3 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 35 minutes. If you’d like a more tender grain, add 1/2 cup more water and simmer until absorbed. Let cool to room temperature.
Combine the rice with the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl and toss together until well combined. If time allows, let the salad stand for an hour or so before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
Per serving: Calories: 189; Total fat: 5g; Protein: 4g; Carbs: 33g; Sodium: 271mg