Red Cabbage and Apple Slaw
Adding sweet elements like apples and dried fruit to raw vegetables like red cabbage can be a good way to entice kids to give salads a try. Eaters of any age will like this one, too. Try it with it spicy dishes, to which it provides a nice flavor contrast.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 medium sweet crisp apple, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated (or use 1 cup pre-shredded carrot)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pumpkin or sunflower seeds for garnish, optional
- Fresh parsley sprigs for garnish, optional
Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl except the garnishes and mix well. Let the salad stand for at least 15 to 20 minutes or longer before serving to allow the flavors to mingle. Garnish with seeds and parsley if desired.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s slaw-style salads.