Serve this richly flavored vegan shiitake-miso gravy over sautéed tofu or tempeh, or to dress up mashed potatoes or green vegetables. Adapted from Vegan Express.
Makes: about 2 cups
- 1 cup prepared vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushroom caps
(about 2 to 3 ounces)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh or jarred ginger, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot cornstarch
- 2 rounded tablespoons miso, any variety
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the broth, mushrooms, ginger, and oil in a small saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 5 to 7 minutes.
Combine the cornstarch in a small container with just enough water to dissolve. Whisk into the saucepan and cook just until the gravy thickens. Remove from the heat.
Combine the miso with 1/4 cup warm water in a small container and whisk until smooth. Stir into the gravy. Season with pepper and serve at once, or cover and heat through just before serving.
Per 1/4 cup: 29 calories; 1g fat; 280mg sodium; 3g carbs; 0g fiber; 1g protein