Piquant Rice Salad
Here’s a bold-flavored rice salad, enough to feed a crowd. It’s a great potcluck or buffet dish.
Serves: 10 to 12
- 1 1/2 cups raw long-grain brown or brown basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 12-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, with liquid, chopped
- 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, with liquid, cut into strips
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sliced pitted black olives
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cherry tomatoes for garnish
- Curly parsley for garnish
Combine the rice with 4 cups water in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 35 minutes. If you’d like a more tender grain, add 1/2 cup more water and simmer until absorbed. Let cool to room temperature.
Combine the rice with the remaining salad ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss together.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together. Pour over the salad and toss well. Let the salad stand for 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
Transfer to a serving bowl and surround the edges with cherry tomatoes alternating with sprigs of curly parsley.
- Here are more recipes for grain salads.
- Here are more Vegan Potluck Dishes.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.