Easy Grilled Portabella Burgers
The easiest route to a grilled vegan burger is to simply lavish portabella mushroom caps in a good marinade and plunk them on the barbecue. To vary this, simply choose different marinades and accompaniments. This is good with or without buns, and works well on an indoor electric grill as well. Delicious with grilled corn (see the corn entry inA Brief Guide to Grilling Vegetables) and a big salad!
- Portabella caps, as many as needed (1 per serving)
- Teriyaki Marinadeor bottled teriyaki marinade (about 1 cup) if you’re in a hurry
To finish the burgers (use any that you’d like):
- Whole-grain buns
- Carmelized onions or slices of raw red onions
- Sliced tomatoes
- Baby greens, baby spinach, or baby arugula
- Salsa, prepared or homemade
- Sweet pickle relish
- Vegan mayonnaise
Stem the portabellas and wipe them clean. Pour the marinade of choice into a shallow container and arrange the portabella caps, underside down, in a single layer. Let stand for at least 15 minutes, or up to an hour. Pour unused marinade back into a bottle for finishing the dish; you’ll have enough left over to use for another occasion.
Grill the portabellas, underside down, for 4 to 5 minutes. Brush generously with marinade, then flip and grill for 5 minutes longer, or until nicely charred to your liking.
Serve on whole-grain buns with whatever other accompaniments you’d like. You can place a variety of these condiments on the table, of course, and let everyone fix their own sandwich.
- Here for lots more vegan burger recipes.
- Find more recipes for grilling in VegKitchen’s The Vegan Barbecue.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.