This homestyle favorite, made with potatoes, onions, peppers, and vegan sausage, makes a hearty brunch or dinner. Contributed by Tamasin Noyes, from American
Vegan Kitchen (© 2010 Vegan Heritage Press).
- 8 ounces small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 ounces vegan sausage
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 6 ounces Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
Steam the potatoes over a pot of boiling water until fork tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and cook 6 to 8 minutes,until they begin to turn brown. Reduce the heat to medium if the potatoes get too dark, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
In the same skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Ad the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the pepper and sausage and cook 2 minutes, or until the pepper starts to soften and the sausage begin to brown.
Add the tofu, chard, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the tofu begins to turn golden.
Add the yeast, lemon juice, herbs, salt, and cayenne. Cook for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. If the mixture is dry, add a splash of water. Add the reserved potatoes to the tofu mixture and cook another 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Visit Tamasin Noyes at Vegan Appetite.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s easy, festive vegan brunch recipes and menus.
- Here are more easy tofu recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and more Tofu, Tempeh and Vegan Sausage Main Dishes.