Chocolate is an aphrodisiac. It’s romantic. It contains antioxidants. Let me cut right to the chase: the real reason I’m sharing this recipe is because it’s pathetically easy. But the end result is so impressive that your sweetie is sure to be touched. Use the best dark chocolate you can get your hands on; it really makes a difference. Recipe and photo contributed by Dynise Balcavage, from Celebrate Vegan* (Lyons Press, ©2011).
Makes: 1 cup of chocolate dip
- 1 cup best-quality dark chocolate buttons (I recommend Valrhona)
- 2 teaspoons non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- Decorations: vegan dusting sugars, sprinkles,
melted vegan white chocolate for drizzling (optional)
Things to dip:
- Potato chips (Yes, potato chips)
- Orange slices
- Apples or apple slices
- Dried apricots
- Dried banana chips
- Crystalized ginger
- Raisins (Use a fork to dip)
- Cranberries (Use a fork to dip)
- Your favorite unshelled nuts (Use a fork to dip)
- Vegan graham crackers
- Vegan marshmallows
- Frozen bananas
Line a cookie sheet with wax paper or a silpat.
Melt the chocolate and shortening in a glass dish in the microwave at 50% power, or melt over a double boiler on low, until smooth and silky, stirring occasionally.
Dip your “things” of choice into the melted chocolate. Gently shake off excess. Place on waxed paper or silpat. Decorate, if desired. Let harden at room temperature or place in refrigerator to speed up cool down.
Dynise Balcavage is also the author of Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine* and blogs at Urban Vegan.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s No-Bake and Raw Sweets.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!