Serve this richly flavored vegan shiitake-miso gravy over sautéed tofu or tempeh, or to dress up mashed potatoes or green vegetables. Adapted from Vegan Express.
Makes: about 2 cups
- 1 cup prepared vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushroom caps
(about 2 to 3 ounces)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh or jarred ginger, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 rounded tablespoons miso
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the broth, mushrooms, ginger, and oil in a small saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer, then cover and simmer gently for 5 to 7 minutes.
Combine the cornstarch in a small container with just enough water to dissolve. Whisk into the saucepan and cook just until the gravy thickens. Remove from the heat.
Combine the miso with 1/4 cup warm water in a small container and whisk until smooth. Stir into the gravy. Season with pepper and serve at once, or cover and heat through just before serving.
- Here are lots more recipes for simple sauces and such.
- Mushroom lovers, rejoice! Here are more mushroom recipes for you.