Many healthy food fans know that avocado is the secret ingredient in this kind of nondairy chocolate mousse. Itâ€™s silky smooth, and maca makes it even better. Macaâ€™s malt-like flavor blends beautifully with chocolate. We recently received a package of Soul Organics Organic Maca Powder and tried a couple of our favorite ways to use maca â€” Strawberry-Vanilla Maca Smoothie, as well asÂ simply stirring in a spoonful into granola with chocolate almond milk â€” yum! Maca is a fabulous superfood to add to your life. Learn more about it on our Frequently Asked Questions about Maca Root.
I really enjoyed Soul Organics Maca Powder. Itâ€™s gelatinized (nothing to do with gelatin, donâ€™t worry!), which makes it easier to digest and absorb the amazing array of nutrients and reap its benefits. I found the flavor smoother and more pleasant than the brand Iâ€™d been buying at my local natural natural foods store.Â Iâ€™m definitely a fan! And whatâ€™s extra cool is that Soul Organics will plant a tree for every order placed. See the graphic following the recipe box.
- 2 medium ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- ¼ almond or cashew nondairy milk (or your favorite kind)
- 1 heaping tablespoon nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, or hazelnut)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 teaspoons maca root powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa or cacao powder
- 3 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- Shaved dark chocolate, cacao nibs, or Himalayan salt for topping, optional
- Combine all the ingredients except the last one in a food processor. Process until completely smooth, stopping the machine to scrape down the sides from time to time.
- Serve in small bowls. Top with any of the suggested toppings if you'd like.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly lidded container. Because avocado is so perishable, itâ€™s best used within one day.
Photo credit (top): Bigstock/ Marina Pissarova
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!