Many healthy food fans know that avocado is the secret ingredient in this kind of nondairy chocolate mousse. It’s silky smooth, and maca makes it even better. Maca’s malt-like flavor blends beautifully with chocolate. We recently received a package of Soul Organics Organic Maca Powder and tried a couple of our favorite ways to use maca — Strawberry-Vanilla Maca Smoothie, as well as simply stirring in a spoonful into granola with chocolate almond milk — yum! Maca is a fabulous superfood to add to your life. Learn more about it on our Frequently Asked Questions about Maca Root.
I really enjoyed Soul Organics Maca Powder. It’s gelatinized (nothing to do with gelatin, don’t worry!), which makes it easier to digest and absorb the amazing array of nutrients and reap its benefits. I found the flavor smoother and more pleasant than the brand I’d been buying at my local natural natural foods store. I’m definitely a fan! And what’s extra cool is that Soul Organics will plant a tree for every order placed. See the graphic following the recipe box.
- 2 medium ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- ¼ almond or cashew nondairy milk (or your favorite kind)
- 1 heaping tablespoon nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, or hazelnut)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 teaspoons maca root powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa or cacao powder
- 3 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- Shaved dark chocolate, cacao nibs, or Himalayan salt for topping, optional
- Combine all the ingredients except the last one in a food processor. Process until completely smooth, stopping the machine to scrape down the sides from time to time.
- Serve in small bowls. Top with any of the suggested toppings if you'd like.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly lidded container. Because avocado is so perishable, it’s best used within one day.
Photo credit (top): Bigstock/ Marina Pissarova
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!