What could be better than a comforting casserole at the end of a long, busy day? A comforting casserole that takes almost not time to prepare, like our Baked Polenta Casserole with Zucchini and Spinach, thatâ€™s what! And while itâ€™s in the oven, all you need to do is kick back, because bagged fresh broccoli slaw and fresh bread complete a full dinner with no extra work.
The casserole is made up of layers of prepared polenta, the kind that comes in a tube, zucchini, and baby spinach. Itâ€™s smothered in marinara sauce and topped with melty vegan cheese, resulting in a crowd-pleasing, family-friendly main dish. Lots of casseroles need prep of the various components, but this one requires only minimal hands-on time. Use a really flavorful prepared marinaraâ€” roasted tomato, garlic, mushroom, or chunky vegetable.
This tasty and healthy dinner is easy enough to make on weeknights, yet special enough to prepare for a company dinner.
Time to table: 30 minutes
Â What you need
- 28-ounce jar marinara sauce, your favorite brand and flavor
- 18-ounce tube polenta
- 2 medium zucchini
- 6 to 8 ounces baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella-style vegan cheese (or use a spicy vegan cheese like pepperjack)
- Sliced fresh basil leaves for garnish (optional)
- 16-ounce bag fresh broccoli slaw
- Bottled vinaigrette dressing (or use olive oil and vinegar, or your favorite salad dressing)
- Fresh whole-grain bread
What to do
1Â Follow the directions for Baked Polenta Casserole with Zucchini and Spinach.
2Â While itâ€™s baking, combine and the broccoli slaw with vinaigrette dressing or other dressing as desired in a bowl.
3Â Once the casserole is out of the oven, serve it with the salad and bread and enjoy!
Make your life easier with more of our Vegan Dinner Hacks.