This gluten-free brown bread is one of my favorites to have around for midday snacking, toasting, or making bread crumbs. It is delicious toasted and topped with vegan mayonnaise, a fresh garden tomato, and a generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper. Recipe reprinted from Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats* by Allyson Kramer (Fair Winds, © 2012), by permission of the author.
Basic Brown Bread (Gluten-Free)
Yield: 10 servings
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ cups warm water (110°F)
- 1 ¼ cups buckwheat flour
- ¾ cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup potato starch
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- In a large electric mixing bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water and let proof until foamy, about 10 minutes. Lightly grease an 8 × 4-inch metal loaf pan.
- In separate bowl, stir together the buckwheat flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, and sea salt.
- Add the olive oil to the yeast and mix well. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Mix on medium speed for about 1 minute or until the dough becomes sticky.
- Spread the dough in the prepared pan. Smooth the top with wet fingertips.
- Let it rest in a warm place (the top of an oven preheated to 200°F and turned off works well) for about 40 minutes or until the dough has risen a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Transfer the pan to the center rack of the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 385°F and bake for 30 to 35 minutes longer or until golden brown on top and hollow sounding when tapped.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack, and then let cool completely on the rack before cutting with a serrated knife. Store in an airtight container.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s recipes for Gluten-Free Vegan Baking.
Visit Allyson Kramer at Manifest Vegan — a great site featuring lots of gluten-free vegan recipes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!