These easy vegan taquitos are loaded with beans, jackfruit, and delicious Mexican spice. It's a perfect weeknight vegan meal!
Taquitos (or flautas) are essentially rolled corn-tortilla tacos that are fried to crispy perfection. Sound amazing? It is!
That's why I couldn't resist testing out this recipe from The Vegan Air Fryer Cookbook. But if you don't have an air fryer yet, no worries! These delicious morsels can be made on the stovetop too.
While taquitos are traditionally filled with beef or chicken, these vegan taquitos use jackfruit, a plant-based ingredient that has a unique stringy and meaty texture.
Adding beans to the taquito filling as well, boosts the protein content and makes it nice and hearty.
Tip: You can find canned water-packed jackfruit in most grocery stores or you can get it online here.
And if you love these vegan taquitos, be sure to check out these other delicious vegan recipes too:
Recipe and photos from The Vegan Air Fryer: The Healthier Way to Enjoy Deep-Fried Flavors © 2017 by JL Fields. Published by Vegan Heritage Press, reprinted by permission.
- 14 ounces canned water-packed jackfruit drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned red beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup pico de gallo sauce
- ¼ cup water plus tbsp
- 4 6 inch whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas
- olive oil cooking spray or canola oil
- In a medium saucepan, combine the jackfruit, beans, pico de gallo, and water. Heat the jackfruit mixture over medium-high heat until it begins to boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the saucepan, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Mash the jackfruit mixture with a fork or potato masher. You’re aiming to shred the jackfruit to a meaty texture.
- Place a tortilla on a work surface. Spoon ¼ cup of the jackfruit mixture onto the tortilla. Roll it up tightly, pushing any of the mixture that falls out back into the tortilla. Repeat this process to make 4 taquitos.
- Stovetop Option: Arrange the taquitos seam side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking oil spray and bake in a 425º F oven for 13 to 18 minutes, or until lightly browned and crispy.
- Air Fryer Option: Spritz the air fryer basket with the oil. Spritz the tops of the tortillas as well. Place the rolled tortillas into the air fryer basket. Cook at 370°F for 8 minutes.