This Believable Vegan "Bacon" may not fool your eyes, but it will definitely fool your tastebuds! Crispy and chewy, this "bacon" has great texture and flavor.
This is the only vegetarian “bacon” I have found to be really satisfying—crispy and chewy with a smoky flavor. With no cholesterol, this "bacon" is the perfect complement to any breakfast. Or make yourself a great BLT with it, or stuff it in a vegan burger or pita—get creative! This bacon goes fast, so you may want to double the recipe.
How to Make Believable Vegan "Bacon"
- Slice tofu into bacon-sized slices.
- Fry tofu in an oiled skillet.
- Cook on both sides until brown and crispy.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix quickly.
- Cook a bit longer, then serve.
Full directions for how to make Believable Vegan "Bacon" are in the printable recipe card below.
Believable Vegan "Bacon" FAQs
How long does this "bacon" last?
This bacon can last up to 1 week when stored in an airtight container in the fridge. However, the sooner it is eaten the better the texture and taste will be!
What other foods can I use to make vegan "bacon"?
The other most popular food that you can use to make vegan "bacon" is coconut flakes. This type of "bacon" is a good option for bacon crumbles and really crisy bacon. I like using this tofu recipe when I want the chewiness of real bacon but without the meat.
Click here for more vegan breakfast recipes.
Believable Vegan "Bacon"
- 8 oz tofu pre-pressed or firm
- 1 tbsp oil plus nonfat cooking spray OR 2–3 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Slice the tofu into pieces ⅛ inch thick and about the width of a slice of bacon.
- Heat the oil in a skillet (preferably non-stick), and cook the tofu slices over a medium-low flame until golden brown and crispy on one side. This can take up to 15 minutes, depending on the pan used.
- Flip and cook the other side until browned. The tofu should be very brown and crispy.
- Sprinkle tofu with the nutritional yeast. Then add the soy sauce and liquid smoke, and stir quickly to coat the tofu slices evenly.
- Cook for another moment, then serve.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!