This deliciously different dish of black-eyed peas and brown rice features plantains, which look like bananas and taste a bit starchier and less sweet. They're very easy to cook. Boil them for about 5 minutes, or until the seams split open, peel, and cut into chunks. Recipe from The Oldways 4-Week Vegetarian & Vegan Diet Menu Plan, © 2014.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- Juice from 1 lime
- 15-ounce can black-eyed peas
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 plantains, cooked and sliced
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic, and pepper, and sauté for about 4 minutes, until soft.
Add the gingerroot and curry powder and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in the coconut milk along with ½ cup of water, agave, and lime juice, and stir until smooth.
Add the peas, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Serve at once with brown rice and plantains.
- Here are more tasty, easy bean main dishes.