This delicious cake is rich, decadent, and delicious! Bryanna's Light & Easy Chocolate Cake with Fluffy Vegan Icing will become your new go-to cake for parties, social gatherings, and rainy-day surprises.
This cake is tender, light, and fat-free! Just remember that fat-free treats don't keep very well, so freeze your leftover cake after a day or two.
This cake is also super easy to make! But make sure to use pastry flour and a bundt or tube pan. Fat-free cakes don't work well when baked in a flat pan, I find. Additionally, you can make a white or cocoa icing to top your cake.
How to Make Bryanna's Light & Easy Chocolate Cake with Fluffy Vegan Icing
- Preheat oven and grease and flour pan.
- Blend wet ingredients til smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Mix dry & wet together and pour into pan.
- Bake until done.
- Remove from pan and let cool on rack.
- Make icing and chill before using.
- Frost cake.
Full directions for how to make Bryanna's Light & Easy Chocolate Cake with Fluffy Vegan Icing are in the printable recipe card below.
Bryanna's Light & Easy Chocolate Cake with Fluffy Vegan Icing
- 8 ounces medium-firm tofu or extra-firm silken tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 cup brown sugar or Sucanat
- ½ cup water or liquid coffee or coffee substitute
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup white pastry flour
- 6 tbsp organic unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- 2 ½ tbsp white unbleached flour
- ¼ tsp agar powder
- 1 ½ tbsp Earth Balance regular, not whipped
- ½ cup vegan sugar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tsp organic unsweetened cocoa
- Preheat the oven to 325°F, and grease and flour ⅛" tube or bundt pan.
- Blend the wet ingredients til smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet mix and whisk in just until blended.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes; cake 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from pan carefully, and let cool on rack.
- Whisk non-dairy milk into flour and agar in a small saucepan until smooth. You can use a hand immersion blender if you wish, or even run it through the blender.
- Heat and stir the agar mixture until it boils and thickens.
- MICROWAVE OPTION: Whisk the flour, agar and milk in a microwave-proof bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds, whisk, and repeat twice, or until thick.
- Let mixture cool completely. You can place it in a small bowl inside of a larger bowl of cold water to speed up the process. While cooling, the mixture will get quite stiff—don't worry!
- With an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the cooled flour paste (and optional cocoa, if using) with the electric beaters and mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Chill icing thoroughly before using to frost the cake.
- Keep the frosted cake or cupcakes refrigerated until serving time.
Bryanna Clark Grogan is the author of Nonna's Italian Kitchen: Delicious Homestyle Vegan Cuisine *and numerous other vegan cookbooks. Visit her at The Vegan Feast Kitchen.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!