Here’s a lightened version of the American holiday classic, candied yams, featuring sweet potatoes (which are often misidentified as yams). Sweetened with orange juice and gently spiced with cinnamon, this is as welcome at the holiday table (especially Thanksgiving) as it is for everyday meals.
Contemporary Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup orange juice preferably freshly-squeezed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or more, to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance melted
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans for topping optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all the ingredients except the last two in a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Add the sliced potatoes and stir well, then transfer to a shallow 1 1/2 -quart round or 9- by 13-inch baking dish.
- Bake, covered, until the sweet potatoes are just tender, about 40 minutes.
- Stir once or twice during that time to distribute the liquid over the potatoes.
- Don't worry if the potatoes break apart. If desired, sprinkle the nuts over the sweet potatoes at this time.
- Bake uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the glaze thickens. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.