To be clear, this tasty cauliflower fried rice uses cauliflower as the “rice” rather than being an actual rice dish that includes cauliflower (like Cauliflower Rice Pilaf for instance). Because we can’t be bothered with tasks like breaking a cauliflower into bits like most food sites do (we’re not Vegan Food Hacks for nothing!), we start with a bag of riced cauliflower that you will find in your supermarket’s frozen foods section.
If you want to use a fresh cauliflower, though, be our guest and follow the concise instructions on OhMyVeggies for How to Make Cauliflower Rice.
The brand we came across in our local store was Green Giant; 365 Organic and Trader Joes offer frozen riced cauliflower as well. Taylor Farms has cauliflower “pearls,” whose pieces are a little larger.
Cauliflower Fried Rice with Mushrooms & Chickpeas
- 16- ounce bag frozen riced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 ounces mushrooms cleaned, stemmed sliced (see note)
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 15- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning blend like Frontier or Mrs. Dash
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the riced cauliflower and water in a large skillet or stir-fry pan.
- Cook over medium heat until the cauliflower is thoroughly thawed.
- Add the mushrooms, scallions, chickpeas, and seasoning blend. Turn the heat up to medium-high, and cook for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the optional nutritional yeast, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Note: To save time, you can use pre-sliced mushrooms, but make sure they look clean and fresh. Sometimes these look older, drier, and more dirty than whole mushrooms.
- Find more of our Shameless Shortcut Recipes.