This chilled berry soup is a fruit-filled way to celebrate mid-summer berry season, with blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Substitute other berries, like blackberries, if you’d like. This may be used as an appetizer, or as a refreshing finish to a summer meal.
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 medium peaches or nectarines, chopped
- 4 cups raspberry or cranberry juice
- 1/3 cup dry red or white wine
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Good pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each: ground allspice, nutmeg
- Maple syrup or agave nectar, optional, if needed
- Sliced strawberries for garnish
- Vegan Sour Cream or Cashew Cream for garnish, optional
Combine all the ingredients except the last three in a large soup pot. Bring to a rapid simmer. Lower the heat, then cover and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the fruit is tender.
Taste to see whether a bit more sweetness is needed, and add maple syrup or agave accordingly—depending on the sweetness of the fruit and the fruit juice, you may not wish to add additional sweetness, or very little.
Allow the soup to cool, then chill thoroughly. Garnish each serving with a few slices of strawberry, and if you’d like, a dollop or swirl of vegan sour cream or cashew cream.
Per serving: Calories: 162; Total fat: 1g; Protein: 2g; Fiber: 6g; Carbs: 38g; Sodium: 9mg