In this vegan version of creamed spinach, you get the goodness of tofu instead of the bother of cooking a flour-thickened milk sauce. Easy and quick, it’s a feast for spinach fans! Photos by Evan Atlas. You can also see a step-by-step of this recipe at How to Make Delicious Dairy-Free Creamed Spinach.
- 1 pound fresh spinach well washed, or baby spinach, rinsed
- Half of a 12.3-ounce container firm silken tofu
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegan butter such as Earth Balance
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pinch of ground nutmeg optional
- Place the spinach in a stir-fry pan or soup pot; cook briefly just until it’s all wilted, adding it in batches if need be. Drain well in a colander, squeezing out most of the water.
- Puree the tofu (remember, just half the container) in a food processor until completely smooth.
- Add the wilted spinach, vegan butter, and dill to the food processor. Pulse on and off until the spinach is nicely blended with the tofu; leave a little texture.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and heat gently until warmed through, stirring often. Don't bring to a simmer or it will start to splatter.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg, then transfer to a serving bowl. Serve warm.
Per serving: Calories: 88; Total fat: 4g; Protein: 6g; Carbs: 6g; Sodium: 135 mg
- Here's more —Healthy, Versatile Spinach: 10 Tasty Recipes.