These corn pancakes are fun, delicious, and filling. The unique cornmeal texture is perfectly paired with the decadent bourbon-agave maple syrup.
Recipe and photo contributed by Jason Wyrick from The Vegan Taste.
I just adore these Corn Pancakes with Bourbon Agave Maple Syrup. In fact, I adore pancakes in all sorts of variations.
These incredibly fun corn pancakes have a cornmeal texture that's not usually expected from a pancake, and a big flavor profile! And best of all, they're pretty simple to make.
They’re fun, delicious, filling, and make the perfect vegan breakfast for a cold morning with a cup of hot tea.
Tips & Tricks
The cornmeal is what gives the batter its rough texture. But it’s way too rough if you use the batter right away. It needs to rest for about 10 minutes after mixing, so the cornmeal can absorb some water and soften a bit.
You don’t want it too soft, though. Otherwise, it’s not really a rough corn batter. Ten minutes seems to be the ideal time.
Also, a little oil is added to the batter to keep the cornmeal pancakes nice and soft. You can use any neutral flavored oil that you have on hand.
Make sure your pan is hot before you add the batter so that it starts cooking immediately, as soon as it hits the pan.
I use both maple and agave syrup to give the bourbon-maple syrup more depth of flavor. You can use just one or the other if you prefer.
For an alternative to syrup, try topping these corn pancakes with a dollop of vegan nutella. Yum!
The pine nuts are a great crunchy topping. But you can leave them out or replace them with toasted walnuts or almonds, if you prefer.
If you want to give these cornmeal pancakes even more flavor and add a bit of heat, simmer a couple of guajillo chile pods in water for about 10 minutes and use the simmering water as the water in the pancake batter recipe.
If you love these cornmeal pancakes, be sure to check out these other delicious vegan breakfast ideas:
Corn Pancakes with Bourbon Agave Maple Syrup
For the Pancakes
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups water + 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp oil
- oil for the pan
For the Syrup
- ¼ cup maple syrup + 1 tbsp
- ¼ cup agave syrup + 1 tbsp
- 1 ½ tbsp bourbon
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Combine all the ingredients for the pancakes. Let this sit for about 10 minutes before cooking. (Do not skip letting the batter rest!)
- Lightly oil a pan and bring it to just above a medium heat. Pour one quarter of the batter onto the pan. The batter will be fairly thick, so use a spoon to spread it around into a 4- to 5-inch disk. Sauté for 3 minutes and flip the pancake. Sauté for another 3 minutes and then remove it from the pan. Repeat with the remainder of the batter.
- Mix the maple, agave, and bourbon together. Pour this over the pancakes. Top with pine nuts.
Leave a Reply