Served in its shell, this simple recipe for Cranberry Spaghetti Squash makes a dramatic presentation as part of a winter meal. It's festive enough to serve as a holiday side dish at the Thanksgiving or Christmas table as well. For more servings, simply double the recipe. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Cranberry Spaghetti Squash
Served in its shell, this simple preparation of spaghetti squash makes a dramatic presentation as part of an everyday winter meal.Print Pin Rate Email
- 1 medium spaghetti squash about 2 lbs
- 2 tbsp vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance or fragrant nut oil
- ½ tsp good-quality curry powder
- 2 –3 scallions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup slivered almonds or chopped walnuts lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Place, cut side up, in a casserole dish with ½ inch of water. Cover tightly with foil and bake until easily pierced with a fork, about 40 to 45 minutes. Or, if you don’t have a knife that’s sharp enough, just wrap the whole squash up in foil, place in a casserole dish, and bake until you can easily pierce with a fork. This will take 45 minutes or more depending on the size and density of the squash.
- When the squash is just cool enough to handle, scrape it lengthwise with a fork into a bowl, to remove the spaghetti-like strands of flesh. Discard the seeds as you do so.
- Combine the spaghetti squash strands with the remaining ingredients except for the nuts in a mixing bowl. Toss well and stuff back into the squash shells.
- Return the filled squash shells to the baking dish and bake until well heated through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cut each squash half in half yet again to make 4 portions, and serve.
Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 90mg | Potassium: 355mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 935IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are lots more winter squash recipes.
Leave a Reply