Crushed pineapple is the standout ingredient in this pleasing Creole coleslaw recipe. It provides a good balance to spicy or bold dishes. My favorite dishes to serve it with are, appropriately, Vegan Jambalaya and Pasta Jambalaya.
- ⅓ cup vegan mayonnaise, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrot (use grated carrot for ease)
- 1 cup finely diced pineapple (fresh or canned)
- 1 to 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the mayonnaise, relish, mustard, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir until blended.
Combine the cabbages, carrots, pineapple, and scallions in a serving bowl and toss together. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix well.
If you'd like a creamier slaw, add a little more mayo. Season with pepper and serve.
Per serving: 87 calories; 4g fat; 215mg sodium; 13g carbs; 3g fiber; 2g protein
Photos: Evan Atlas
- Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.