Here's one of my favorite uses for vegan sausage. This hearty Creole-flavored Pasta Jambalaya recipe makes a dish full of bold flavor. If you have more time, make a pan of vegan corn bread—a wonderful addition to this meal, as is Creole Coleslaw.
Hearty Pasta Jambalaya with Vegan Sausage
Serves: 4 to 6
- 8 oz pasta (such as penne, cavatappi, or gemelli, preferably whole grain)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- ½ medium bell pepper, any color
- 2 links vegan sausage, sliced no thicker than ½ inch (Tofurky and Field Roast are both good brands)
- 1 (15–16 oz) can diced tomatoes (try fire-roasted)
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- cayenne pepper or dried hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced, or more to taste
- fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, as desired
- Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the garlic, celery, bell pepper, and sausage; continue to sauté until all the vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes, paprika, and thyme. Continue to cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked pasta. Season with cayenne or red pepper fakes, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the fresh herbs, reserving some for garnish if you'd like; then serve.
- Here are more vegan sausage recipes.
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes andPasta Entrées.
Liz Cornell says
Where does one get these ingredients in the UK?
I Do not eat soya products, which I admit makes it a little more difficult ..