This colorful and naturally sweet slaw is a medley of cabbage, apples, and raisins with an appealing crunch. Make this recipe for everyday as well as holiday meals. Photos by Evan Atlas. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
- 3–4 cups coarsely shredded green or red cabbage (or a combination)
- 1 large Granny Smith or other crisp apple, cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 large celery stalks, peeled, if desired, and cut diagonally
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise, more or less to taste
- juice of ½ lemon or lime
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- sunflower or pumpkin seeds, as desired for topping, optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a serving bowl and toss together well.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes or so before serving.
- Just before serving, sprinkle sunflower or pumpkin seeds over the top of the slaw, if desired.
Calories: 104; Total fat: 4g; Protein: 1g; Fiber: 2.7g; Carbs: 15g; Sodium: 175mg
- Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.