It can be difficult to find a chocolate bar that is made without milk (or traces of milk and nuts). This chocolate crisp is a make-your-own candy bar that can be prepared in minutes, without turning the oven on. Use your favorite non-dairy chocolate, or try this with different chocolates to see which you prefer.
For a special treat, spread a layer of sunflower seed butter (available at the grocery store) between two pieces of chocolate crisp. Yum! Recipe from Learning to Bake Allergen-Free: A Crash Course for Busy Parents on Baking without Wheat, Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Soy or Nuts,* by Colette Martin, © 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment.
Makes about 16 servings
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Natural Shortening
- 1¾ cups allergen-free chocolate chips (see Note)
- ¾ cup gluten-free crisped rice cereal (see tip)
Line a 9-inch square pan with wax paper.
Melt the shortening in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
Add the chocolate chips and use a spoon to stir continuously while melting.
When the mixture is completely melted, remove the pan from the heat. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
Fold in the rice cereal. While still warm, spread the mixture in the lined pan.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. The chocolate will harden.
Use the wax paper to lift the chocolate block from the baking dish. Cut or break the crisp into desired-size chunks and serve.
Note: The following dairy-free and nut-free chocolates are recommended:
- Enjoy Life Foods – Mini-chips and Mega-Chunks, also a bar called Boom Choco Boom (these don’t contain soy lecithin)
- Divvies Bakery – Standard-size chocolate chips (these contain soy lecithin)
- Hain Celestial Group – Standard-size hocolate chips, marketed under the name Chocolate Dream (these contain soy lecithin)
- My favorite crisped rice cereal is Erewhon Gluten Free Crispy Brown Rice cereal. It contains just three ingredients: organic brown rice, organic brown rice syrup, and sea salt.
- Be careful not to let the chocolate burn while it is melting. Stir continuously and keep the heat low.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!