This moist vegan cornbread, spiked with green chile peppers, is an ideal companion to bean dishes, stews, and other hearty fare. Adapted from Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons by Nava Atlas.
Green Chile Cornbread
This moist vegan cornbread, spiked with green chile peppers, is an ideal companion to bean dishes, stews, and other hearty fare.Print Pin Rate Email
- 1 cup cornmeal preferably stone ground
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry ﬂour or spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6- ounce container plain coconut yogurt or ¾ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened nondairy milk or more as needed
- 1 to 2 small fresh hot chile peppers seeded and minced, or one 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels thawed
- ¾ cup grated vegan cheddar cheese optional (but highly recommended!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the yogurt or applesauce, oil, and half of the rice milk. Stir until well combined, adding just a bit more nondairy milk if needed to make a smooth, slightly stiff batter, but don't let the batter be too wet.
- Stir in the chilies and corn kernels.
- Pour the mixture into an oiled 9-inch-square baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is golden and a knife inserted in the center tests clean.
- Let cool slightly; cut into 3 sections in one direction and 4 in the other to create 12 squares. Serve warm.
Calories: 166kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 396mg | Potassium: 63mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 18IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per square (based on 12 squares): Calories: 128; Total fat: 4g; Protein: 3g; Fiber: 2g; Carbs: 22g; Sodium: 257mg
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.
- Here are more recipes and menu ideas for a Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly Thanksgiving.
I have no idea how many times I made this.... It is quite simply the best SAVORY, (thank you...everyone uses tons of sugar and I hate sweet cornbread even though I am from the South!) again and I repeat, the best cornbread recipe out there! So where are all the dozens, hundreds of 5star comments I expected?? This is amazing ya'll.... make it!!!