A summer classic, this tasty potato salad features plenty of fresh herbs, and is dressed in a vinaigrette. It’s welcome at picnics and barbecues, or really, any warm-weather meal. Served with your favorite plant protein (a simple tofu, tempeh, or bean dish) and fresh organic corn, you’ve got an easy dinner for any night of the week. Leftovers make great lunch fare for school or work. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Herbed Potato Salad
- 5 medium red-skinned or golden potatoes scrubbed and diced (about 3/4" chunks)
- 2 medium celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 cup steamed fresh or thawed frozen green peas
- 1 small to medium red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/3 cup chopped black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or more, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or more, to taste
- 2 scallion green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup natural vinaigrette dressing prepared orhomemade, more or less as desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the potato dice with just enough water to cover them in a saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, then cover and simmer until just tender but still firm. Drain and rinse under cool water until they're no longer hot. Alternatively, you can microwave or bake the potatoes in their skins until just done; then once cool enough to handle, dice them.
- Combine the diced potatoes with the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl and toss together gently but thoroughly.
- Serve at once or cover and refrigerate until needed.Or, if using for a picnic, pack whatever portion you need into a into a tightly lidded container to transport.