Mashed potatoes, the classic comforting side dish, is made even better with the addition of sweet potato. It adds extra flavor, color, nutrition. This is great on its own, but for an even more luscious dish, consider making Easy Mushroom Gravy for topping individual portions.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 4 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance or other vegan buttery spread
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup unsweetened rice milk or other nondairy milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Finely chopped parsley for garnish, optional
Cover the potato dice with water in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer gently until the potatoes are quite tender, about 15 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in the Earth Balance in until it melts, and add the rice milk and nutmeg.
Mash the potatoes until they are smooth and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper.
The mashed potatoes may need to be heated a bit before serving, so transfer them to a heatproof serving container, cover, and heat briefly in the microwave or a preheated 350-degree F. oven.
- Find more easy, tasty potato recipes