Hearty and delicious, these Mixed Grain Griddlecakes are sure to fill you up. They're full of nutrients and taste great paired with syrup and fruit!
These vegan pancakes are made with a variety of flours and meals—cornmeal, whole wheat, and more—which makes them extra hearty. Serve them with some sweet syrup or berries. And if you're making a breakfast feast, don't forget the oatmeal, smoothie, and avocado toast to go with!
How to Make Mixed Grain Griddlecakes
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Let stand until batter absorbs and thickens.
- Stir in banana—if desired.
- Pour batter onto hot griddle.
- Cook pancakes on both sides until golden brown.
- Repeat until all batter is cooked.
- Garnish with nuts and syrup and serve!
Full directions for how to make Mixed Grain Griddlecakes are in the printable recipe card below.
Mixed Grain Griddlecakes FAQs
What is the difference between griddlecakes and pancakes?
There isn't really much of a difference between pancakes and griddlecakes. The only difference is what you use to cook the cakes. Technically, when you cook them in a pan, they are pancakes; and when you cook them on a griddle, they are griddlecakes!
How long will these griddlecakes last?
You can store any leftover griddlecakes in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. Alternatively, you can freeze your lefover griddlecakes for up to 3 months!
See more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Breakfast Recipes and Ideas.
Mixed Grain Griddlecakes
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp wheat germ
- 2 tbsp soy flour or garbanzo flour
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups nondairy milk
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 banana sliced, optional
- walnuts or pecans, for topping; optional
- maple syrup for serving
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add the soy milk, maple syrup and oil. Stir gently until dry ingredients are completely moistened.
- Let stand a few minutes, until the batter absorbs the liquid and thickens.
- Stir in the banana—if desired.
- Pour batter by generous ¼ cupfuls onto a hot oiled or non-stick griddle.
- Cook until the bottom is golden. Turn and cook the other side.
- Repeat until all batter is cooked; keep pancakes warm until all are done.
- Garnish with a handful of walnuts and pecans, if desired, and serve with maple syrup.
You can find hundreds of vegan and vegetarian breakfast ideas, from everyday to fancy in The Good Breakfast Book by Nikki and David Goldbeck (Ceres Press), available at a special price at HealthyHighways. The book is also in bookstores and on amazon.com.*
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
Leave a Reply