If you’d like an alternative to pumpkin pie for fall celebrations like Thanksgiving, or everyday meals, this pear and apple crumble is a welcome dessert. It’s especially tasty served warm over vanilla nondairy ice cream. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Pear and Apple Crumble
- 4 medium ripe pears cored and thinly sliced
- 3 medium sweet apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ oatmeal, or quinoa flakes
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- Nondairy vanilla ice cream optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the fruits with the next 5ingredients and stir together until evenly coated. Pour into a lightly oiled 9- by 13-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the first 4 topping ingredients and toss to coat. Drizzle in the oil and stir until evenly coated. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the fruits are soft and the topping is golden. If desired, serve warm in bowls topped with nondairy ice cream.