Leafy spring greens like spinach, arugula, or watercress look and taste very appealing with pink beans. The more garlicky you make this simple dish, the better. A perfect choice when you’re looking to get more beans and greens in your daily fare! Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced, or agood-sized bunch garlic chives, minced
- 3 to 3½ cups cooked or two 15- to 16-ounce cans pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon good-quality chili powder
- 6 to 8 ounces small-leaf spring greens (baby spinach, baby arugula, watercress, tatsoi, or any combination), rinsed well
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and sauté over low heat until it just begins to turn golden. Add the scallions and sauté just until they soften a bit.
- Stir in the beans and chili powder and cook over medium heat until heated through.
- Add the greens to the skillet in 2 to 3 batches, covering and cooking down until wilted, making room for the entire amount.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve at once.