This smoothie brings back happy memories of eating gobs of pistachio ice cream with my cousins at Jones Beach. Pistachio was always one of my favorite flavors. The texture is smooth and thick like an old-fashioned milk shake. Pistachios contain large amounts of antioxidants, beta-carotene, vitamin E and lutein compared to other nuts. They are also lower in calories than other nuts and are loaded with flavor and healthy fats. Contributed by Helyn Dunn, from Helyn’s Healthy Kitchen.
Serves: 2 to 4
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup raw shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 cups soymilk or other non dairy milk
- 2 drops pure almond extract (really, all you need is 2 drops!)
- 2 medjool dates, pitted
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Place all ingredients in high powdered blender and blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.