Quinoa and black beans join forces with corn and avocado to make a sturdy salad with southwestern flavors. It’s a perfect main-dish salad, paired with a simple soup or Easy Quesadillas or Soft Tacos. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Quinoa and Black Bean Salad with Corn and Avocado
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa rinsed in a fine sieve
- 1 cup halved yellow or red cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium firm ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- ½ medium orange or yellow bell pepper optional
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels lightly cooked
- 1 cup cooked or canned drained and rinsed black or pinto beans
- 2 scallions green parts only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- ½ cup salsa use your favorite variety
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil as desired
- Juice of ½ to lime to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and dried hot red pepper flakes to taste
- Combine the quinoa with 1 ½ cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Transfer the quinoa to a serving container to cool. If need be, speed up the cooling process by refrigerating for a while.
- Once the quinoa is just warm, combine it with the remaining ingredients in the container and stir together. Serve at once.