If candied sweet potatoes are too cloying for your palate, try them prepared in a savory rather than sweet way. This recipe, fragrant with garlic and thyme and studded with black olives, may change your mind about sweet potatoes if they've never been your veggie of choice. This recipe doubles easily for a larger crowd.
Savory Sweet Potatoes with Thyme, Olives, and Garlic
- 1 ½ lb sweet potatoes peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup oil-cured black olives pitted
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut them into ¼-inch slices.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sliced sweet potatoes and garlic.
- Sprinkle with the thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- A few minutes before you’re ready to serve, add the olives and taste to adjust seasonings, if desired. Drizzle with a little additional olive oil, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Here are more recipes and menu ideas for a Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!