Mix up your favorite beans with fresh herbs and a vinaigrette, and you’ve got a great way to add protein to a meal. Adapted from The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet.
- Two 15- to 16-ounce cans black, pinto, or pink beans, or black-eyed peas
(or a combination of two kinds), drained and rinsed, or 3 1/2 to 4 cups cooked beans
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro,
or a combination (you can also add a little fresh dill to this mix)
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup natural low-fat vinaigrette, homemade or store-bought
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the ingredients in a serving container and toss well. Cover and marinate an hour or two, refrigerated. Stir up once in a while. Serve as a cold side dish on its own, or mix into a green salad.
- Explore Bean Salads for more easy, tasty ideas.