Here's an easy-to-make vegan bar filled with chewy granola in a soft dough. It's a kind of a cross between a granola bar and a blondie bar. Perfect as a mid-afternoon snack with coffee or tea, an on-the-go breakfast, or to pack in the lunchbox. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
Makes: 8 bars
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, ground flaxseeds, or wheat germ
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup applesauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon nut butter, optional
- 1 cup granola of your choice (homemade or store bought)
- ½ cup raisins or currants
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the first 4 (dry) ingredient in a mixing bowl and stir together.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the applesauce and optional nut butter. Stir together until the wet and dry ingredients are completely mixed. It will be a stiff batter. Stir in the granola, raisins, and chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 9- by 9-inch pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center tests clean (aside from the melted chocolate). Let cool completely in the pan, then cut into 8 bars.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Cookies and Bars.