Here’s an unusual twist on ordinary mashed potatoes inspired by a Southeast Asian recipe. These mashed potatoes are embellished with fresh chili pepper, coconut yogurt, and ginger. Serve with a simple tempeh or tofu dish (Sweet and Smoky Tofu or Tempeh Strips go well with this) and a bountiful tossed salad for an easy meal.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 5 large russet or Yukon Gold potatoes (if golden potatoes are medium-sized, use 7 or 8)
- 1 tablespoon olive or safflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small fresh hot chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup plain coconut yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh or jarred ginger, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, or more, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or minced scallion
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Peel and dice the potatoes. In a large saucepan, cover the potato dice with water and simmer gently until tender.
Drain, then transfer the potatoes to a serving container and mash well. Cover and keep warm.
Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the chili pepper and sauté for a minute or two longer.
Stir in the sautéed onions and remaining ingredients into the mashed potatoes, then serve.
- Here are more easy, tasty potato recipes.