Served with a tart dipping sauce, these Spicy Tempura Sweet Potatoes are food heaven—and loaded with carotenoids for health!
Nothing quite like deep frying to get people to eat their veggies, right? In this recipe, a light crisp batter combines nicely with the natural sweet flavor of the sweet potatoes. Serve these crispified veggies alongside a sweet salad or hearty soup.
How to Make Spicy Tempura Sweet Potatoes
- Slice and cook sweet potatoes. Set aside.
- Whisk batter together. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together dipping sauce.
- Heat oil for frying.
- Dip potato slices in batter, then fry.
- Fry all remaining potatoes, then serve with sauce.
Full directions for how to make Spicy Tempura Sweet Potatoes are in the printable recipe card below.
Spicy Tempura Sweet Potatoes FAQs
Can I use other vegetables besides sweet potatoes?
You can use any kind of vegetables you prefer for this recipe. Sweet potatoes are the best option because of their flavor and their thing slices. But any really any vegetable can be battered and fried! Just make sure to cut and cook whatever vegetable you use before battering and frying.
How can I spice up the dipping sauce?
It's easy to add a bit of spice to your dipping sauce. Simply choose your favorite spices and shake them in! Or whip up a batch of your favorite sauce in place of the dipping sauce in this recipe. The choice is yours!
Spicy Tempura Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes unpeeled, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup semolina flour
- sea salt
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp kuzu dissolved into 3 tbsp spring or filtered water
- sparkling water
- soy sauce
- fresh lime juice
- avocado oil for frying
- Slice the sweet potatoes and cook them in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a kitchen towel and dry them completely.
- Combine flours, salt, spices, and baking powder.
- Stir in dissolved kuzu and enough sparkling water to create a thin batter, as for pancakes.
- Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together equal amounts of soy sauce and lime juice.
- Heat 2 inches oil in a deep pot over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, dip sweet potato slices in batter, then fry until golden—about 2 minutes.
- Keep the fried sweet potatoes in a warm oven so they stay crisp while you fry the rest.
- Drain well and serve with dipping sauce on the side.
Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
Contributed by Christina Pirello, from I’m Mad as Hell and I’m Not Going to Eat it Any More*(Perigee Books, 2011).
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!