Here's a quick stir-fry using nutritious, crunchy bok choy. Shiitake mushrooms make a perfect partner for it. Serve this on its own or over rice; it's good hot or at room temperature. Use either large white bok choy or baby bok choy. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Shiitake Mushrooms
Here's a quick stir-fry using nutritious, crunchy bok choy. Shiitake mushrooms make a perfect partner for it. Serve this on its own or over rice.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- About 8 stalks regular or 3 to 4 baby bok choy stalks and leaves, sliced fairly thin on the diagonal
- 4 to 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 heaping cup snow peas trimmed and cut in half, or 1 cup baby carrots, quartered or halved lengthwise
- 2 to 3 scallions white and green parts, sliced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce or to taste
- 3 tablespoons dry cooking sherry or white wine
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh or jarred ginger
- Hot chili oil or other hot seasoning like Sriracha sauce to taste
- Hot cooked rice optional
- Toasted cashews or peanuts for topping optional
- Heat the oil in a stir-fry pan. Add the onion and stir-fry over medium high heat until translucent.
- Add the bok choy, shiitakes, snow peas, soy sauce, and sherry or wine. Stir-fry until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add the ginger and chili oil or sriracha. Season with additional soy sauce if desired.
- Serve at once over hot cooked rice or on its own as a side dish. Pass around cashews or peanuts for topping individual servings, if desired.
Calories: 87kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 271mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 63IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more recipes for Leafy Spring Greens.
- Here are more easy vegetable stir-fries.
- Mushroom lovers, rejoice! Here are more mushroom recipes for you.
Very good recipe, easy and quick to make. Family liked it even though they don't normally eat my Vegan food.
Moon, isn't it nice when we find something easy that everyone will eat? So glad you and your family enjoyed this.
Debra Hubbard says
another one my daughter will eat YAY!!!!!!!!
Debra, I'm glad you found a couple of recipes here on VegKitchen that your daughter will eat, and hopefully enjoy!