This Stir-Fried Sesame Kale and Red Cabbage dish is simple yet filling. Whether you stick to the recipe or use it as a launch pad for your own creation, this dish will become a family favorite!
The trick to this pretty stir-fry is to stop the stir-fry process just shy of when you think you need to. This way both the cabbage and kale retain their bright colors! You can keep the recipe really simple, as in the basic recipe, or vary it with different veggies.
Find lots more recipes on VegKitchen for kale, collards, and other hardy greens.
How to Make Stir-Fried Sesame Kale and Red Cabbage
- Prep kale leaves.
- Slice red cabbage.
- Heat oil in pan and sauté onion.
- Add kale and cabbage and stir-fry until brightly colored.
- Remove pan from heat, add seasonings, and serve.
Full directions for how to make Stir-Fried Sesame Kale and Red Cabbage are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Stir-Fried Sesame Kale and Red Cabbage FAQs
Can I use different veggies than listed in the recipe?
You can switch up this recipe by adding a small amount of another vegetable or two depending on what you have on hand. Use any of the following, adding them at the same time as the kale and cabbage.
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into long narrow strips
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or thawed from frozen
- 8–10 baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
What are the health benefits of kale?
Kale is considered a superfood. It's full of antioxidants and vitamins—and it can even help to reduce cholesterol. Kale even has cancer-fighting properties! Everyone would be quite a bit healthier if we ate more kale.
Stir-Fried Sesame Kale and Red Cabbage
- 1 bunch kale 8–10 ounces, preferably curly green or lacinato
- ½ small head red cabbage or ⅓ medium head
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp ginger grated fresh or jarred
- 1 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds preferably unhulled
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- dried hot red pepper flakes or other spicy condiment to taste; optional
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems. Stack a few leaves atop one another and cut them into narrow strips. If desired, slice the stems thinly to use in the stir-fry; otherwise discard.
- Cut the red cabbage into thin slices, 2–3 inches long.
- Heat the oil in a stir-fry pan or large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden and soft.
- Add the kale and cabbage. Turn the heat up to high and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes, stirring frequently, until both are brightly colored and tender crisp. If the pan needs a bit more moisture, sprinkle in a little water—but not too much!
- Remove pan from the heat. Stir in the ginger, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper—and a little hot stuff if you'd like—and serve at once.