There are few beverages more hydrating for summer’s hottest days than a fresh watermelon slush. With added strawberries, this semi-frozen sweet drink will keep you cool and refreshed. If you’d like, give it a probiotic boost with a little raw organic apple cider vinegar — its benefits are legion, and you’ll hardly taste it!
Makes: 2 to 3 servings
- 2 cups hulled strawberries (cut larger berries in half)
- 4 heaping cups seedless watermelon chunks
- Juice of 1/2 lime, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (raw, organic, unfiltered), optional
Place the strawberries in the container of a blender. Process until finely chopped.
Add the remaining ingredients and process until blended — don’t overdo it, especially if using a high-speed blender. You want it to have some texture and not to get totally liquified.
Divide between 2 or 3 serving glasses and then place them in the freezer, on a level surface. Freeze for an hour or two — until they have a nice slush consistency. A straw inserted should be able to stand straight!
Enjoy while semi-frozen.
Photos: Evan Atlas
- See also: Watermelon Slushy, which uses banana and pineapple as well.