You won’t believe how easy it is to make these unbaked vegan chocolate brownies, rich with nuts and sweetened with dates. They’re flourless, gluten-free, and altogether rich and yummy. Recipe from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life with More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes by Nava Atlas. ©2014, published by HarperOne, reprinted by permission. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Unbaked Fudgy Brownies
- 1 cup untoasted slivered or sliced almonds
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips divided
- 1/4 cup untoasted walnuts
- Place the almonds in the container of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until ground to a fine powder.
- Add the dates, cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and half of the chocolate chips. Process until the mixture holds together as a mass—this will take a few minutes.
- Add the remaining chocolate chips and pulse on and off for about 30 seconds. Add the walnuts and pulse on and off for another 20 to 30 seconds, or until finely chopped but still visible in the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8 by 8-inch square pan. Press into the pan, using the back of a spatula to get it nice and even. Score the mixture into 12 squares.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Cover any leftovers and store in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Information (per square)
Per square: Calories: 177; Total fat: 11g; Protein: 4g; Carbs: 21g; Fiber: 3g; Sodium: 0mg