This sweet vegan caramel sauce makes a great topping for pies, ice cream, cakes, and bread puddings. Try it over Pumpkin Bread Pudding for an amazing treat! Contributed by Beverly Lynn Bennett (reprinted by permission of the author), author of Vegan Bites* and other titles*. Photo by Hannah Kaminsky.
Vegan Caramel Sauce
This sweet vegan caramel sauce makes a great addition to pies and for topping ice cream, cakes, and bread puddings.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 8 to 10
- ¾ cup nondairy milk of choice
- ¾ cup natural granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup or brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter such as Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the nondairy milk, sugar, and maple syrup, and whisk well to combine. Cook over medium heat, while whisking occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and arrowroot, and then whisk the mixture into the saucepan.
- Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until it thickens. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the remaining ingredients.
- Serve warm as a topping for cakes, desserts, nondairy ice cream or sorbet, or as a dipping sauce for fruit. Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, and reheat as needed.
Calories: 145kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 44mg | Potassium: 33mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 221IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more recipes and menu ideas for a Vegetarian and Vegan-Friendly Thanksgiving.
- Here are lots more recipes for simple sauces and such.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
Leave a Reply