Chilled Berry Soup
This fat-free fruit soup may be used as an appetizer, or use as a refreshing finish to a summer meal.
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 medium peaches or nectarines, chopped
- 4 cups raspberry or cranberry juice (made from concentrate)
- 1/3 cup dry red or white wine
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each: ground allspice, nutmeg
- Brown sugar to taste, if needed
- Sliced strawberries for garnish
Combine all the ingredients except the last 2 in a large soup pot. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the fruit is tender. Taste to see whether a bit more sweetness is needed, and add brown sugar accordingly—depending on the sweetness of the fruit and the fruit juice, you may not wish to add additional sugar at all, or very little.
Allow the soup to cool, then chill thoroughly. Garnish each serving with a few slices of strawberry.Print This Post