Finely diced cucumbers, tomatoes, and bell peppers are central to this Israeli salad; other vegetables are sometimes added as well.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into small dice
- 3 medium tomatoes (preferably on vine, heirloom, or other
flavorful variety), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into small dice
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup finely diced radish, optional
- 1 cup thinly shredded red cabbage, optional
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed
- Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine all the vegetables in a salad bowl. Toss together. Use enough olive oil to moisten the vegetables, and add lemon juice to taste. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss again.