A well-flavored marinade, this adds an Asian spin to grilled, stir-fried, or sautéd tofu, tempeh, and seitan. It also enhances vegetables, including eggplant, broccoli, green beans, scallions, carrots, and mushrooms, when used in such preparations.
Makes: About 1 cup
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake or white wine
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons natural granulated sugar or agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 cloves crushed or minced garlic, optional
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh or jarred ginger, or more, to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a small container. If using sugar, let stand until it’s dissolved. Otherwise, mix together and use as directed in recipes. Transfer unused portion to a storage container and refrigerate.
- Find more recipes for grilling in VegKitchen’s The Vegan Barbecue.
- Find more ways to make Special Occasions and Entertaining easier and healthier.
- Here are lots more recipes for simple sauces and such.