Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Leeks and Peas
Serve this combination of sweet potatoes, leeks, and peas as a colorful and nourishing side dish with everyday or holiday meals. It’s a perfect way to dress up your Thanksgiving sweet potatoes! Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and palest green parts only,
chopped and well-rinsed
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Generous pinch of ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Several fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced, for topping, optional
Combine the diced sweet potatoes with just enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer steadily until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil with 2 tablespoons water in a medium skillet. Add the leeks, then cover and cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add more water as needed to keep the skillet moist. Add the peas and cook just until well heated through.Remove from the heat.
When the sweet potatoes are done, drain them and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the orange juice and mash until smooth. Stir in the leeks and peas, followed by the ginger and nutmeg. Stir gently until the mixture is well mixed. Season with salt and pepper.
Keep covered until serving. If need be, warm in the oven or microwave just before serving. Pass around sliced sage leaves for topping if you’d like.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
- Here are more recipes for onions, garlic, and leeks.