Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Leeks and Peas
Serve this combination of sweet potatoes, leeks, and peas, as a colorful and nourishing side dish with everyday meals. Adapted from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 medium- large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and palest green parts only,
chopped and well-rinsed
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Generous pinch of ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Several fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced, for topping, optional
Combine the diced sweet potatoes with just enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer steadily until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil with 2 tablespoons water in a medium skillet. Add the leeks, then cover and cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
When the sweet potatoes are done, drain them and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the orange juice and mash until smooth. Stir in the leeks, followed by the peas, ginger and nutmeg. Stir gently until the mixture is well mixed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve at once, passing around sliced sage leaves for topping.
- Enjoy more of VegKitchen’s sweet potato recipes.
- Here are more recipes for onions, garlic, and leeks.