Give your maca banana smoothie an extra kick with a subtle coffee flavor. Maca in itself gives you an energy boost, so you can use decaf if you’d like; it’s really for the flavor rather than the caffeine. Use the lesser amount of the maca powder if you’re new to using it. This makes about two 12-ounce smoothies.
Mocha Maca Banana Smoothie
Give your maca banana smoothie an extra kick with a subtle coffee flavor.Print Pin Rate Email
- 1 heaping teaspoon organic instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons cocoa or cacao powder or see variation, below
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 frozen bananas broken into chunks
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk sweetened or not
- 1 to 2 tablespoons maca powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Liquid sweetener agave, stevia, maple syrup, etc. if using unsweetened almond milk, to taste, optional
- Ice for serving optional
- Combine the instant coffee and cocoa powder in a mug of boiling water and stir to dissolve. Pour this mixture into a blender.
- Add the bananas, almond milk, maca powder, and cinnamon and process until completely smooth.
- Divide between two glasses. Taste to see if you’d like a little more sweetener, and/or thin with a little more almond milk if too thick.
- Add ice to the beverage if you’d like to enjoy it very cold, and serve at once.
Calories: 142kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 167mg | Potassium: 535mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 76IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Variation: If you have a high-speed blender, use 4 squares of bittersweet chocolate instead of the cocoa powder.
- Here are more Fruit Smoothies Every Day.
- If you like this smoothie, you might also enjoy Strawberry-Vanilla Maca Smoothie.
- Read about the health benefits of maca.
[email protected] says
This was good! I used 2 teaspoons maca, half of a banana plus stevia, spinach, and leftover cooled coffee instead. Thank you! Like a healthy frappacino!
Thanks, Tessa! I love your tweaks ...