If you've never heard of hash brown waffles, you're in a for a real treat! This magical breakfast treat is a perfect blend of your two favorite breakfast foods - waffles and hash browns! And it's 100% vegan too!
I love hash browns. No, seriously. I'm a bit of a hash brown connoisseur. So these potato waffles from the Real Food, Really Fast cookbook are right up my alley.
What separates award-winning hash browns from merely adequate hash browns all comes down to texture. They should be perfectly crisp on the outside, yet tender and creamy on the inside.
And that's exactly why these hash brown waffles are so perfect. Using a waffle iron instead of a traditional frying pan, gives a far more satisfying crunchy crust, while keep the potatoes in the center nice and creamy.
These hash brown waffles are:
- A delicious savory breakfast recipe!
- Super fun to make and eat.
- 100% Vegan
- Dairy Free
This is one vegan breakfast that's sure to be a hit with the whole family!
Tips & Tricks
Squeeze any excess water from the shredded potatoes before mixing them with the other ingredients. This helps ensure a nice crispy potato waffle!
Preheat the waffle iron so it's nice and hot before you begin. All waffle irons are a little different in terms of time needed to heat up, so consult your manual if you are unsure. It needs to be fully heated to get a crispy potato waffle.
Work in batches if you need to. I used a four-waffle iron, but yours may make just one or two waffles at a time. That's fine, just work in batches.
The vegan butter can be substituted with coconut oil, if you prefer. It will lend a little bit of coconut flavor to the hash brown waffles.
Top your waffles with your favorite vegan-friendly garnishes. I like to serve them with sliced avocado and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper. Other great options are salsa, dairy free sour cream, or melted dairy free cheese shreds.
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
If you love these vegan hash brown waffles, be sure to check out these other delicious breakfast ideas:
- Reader-Favorite Vegan Pancake Recipes
- 50+ Vegan Smoothies
- Savory Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Vegan Pumpkin Waffles
Recipe and photos for these Hash Brown Waffles are reprinted with permission from Real Food, Really Fast by Hannah Kaminsky © 2018 by Skyhorse Publishing.
Hash Brown Waffles
- Waffle Iron
- 1 pound frozen shredded potatoes thawed
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Squeeze any excess water out of the shredded potatoes, if necessary, before tossing them into a large bowl.
- Mix in the melted vegan butter, salt, and pepper, stirring thoroughly to incorporate. Make sure that the potato shreds are all evenly coated before proceeding.
- Lightly grease the waffle maker. Distribute the potato mixture equally between four waffle squares, covering the surface as evenly as possible while packing it in firmly. (If your waffle iron makes a single waffle, work in batches.)
- Close the lid and make sure that it locks to ensure full contact with the hash browns. Cook on medium-high for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden brown all over. Serve right away, while still hot and crisp!
Could I grate my own potatoes and what would I have to do differently if I did ?