Tired of overpriced energy bars that taste like cardboard? You can make your own energy bars in minutes using super nutritious seeds — no baking required! Look for all these ingredients in natural foods stores. Learn more about hemp seeds here, and chia seeds here. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Makes: 8 bars
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds or sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds (see note)
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup, maple syrup, or agave nectar
- ¾ cup semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips
- Generous pinch of cinnamon
Oil the bottom and sides of an 8 by 8-inch or 9- by 9-inch pan.
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan and set over medium-low heat. Heat, stirring gently, just until the chocolate is melted. You want it to be melted enough to coat the other ingredients, but not so much that it starts to seize (become grainy and dry).
Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out with a small firm spatula until even. Score the mixture with a sharp knife to get 8 even rectangular bars (or you can score into 9 more or less square pieces)
Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Store any that aren’t eaten right away in the refrigerator, covered.
Note: Personally, I think toasted, salted sunflower seeds add the most flavor to these bars, but you can use raw or toasted sunflower seeds; salted or unsalted, as you prefer.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s No-Bake and Raw Sweets.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.
Can we freeze them?
Yes, these freeze very well!